Snack time in a kindergarten class in Michigan took a wild turn recently, when some of the students accidentally drank tequila thinking it was juice. It was juice, just not the kind they can legally have.
According to Yahoo! News, one of the students at Grand River Academy Livonia brought a bottle of ready-to-drink Jose Cuervo margaritas in her backpack. The student wasn’t greedy, and several students drank the margarita mix. One of the students “felt woozy” and a “little dizzy” after taking four or five sips of it from a Dixie cup.
It seems that the kindergartners who drank the margarita mix told their parents they thought it was juice. However, it is reported that the student who initially brought the bottle into the classroom knew it was alcoholic.
Dominique Zanders, a mother of one of the students, said, “The girl poured it in her cup and she drank it and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face,” according to Yahoo! News.
Apparently, the faculty called poison control when they learned the children had been drinking margaritas. In a statement from the school, they said, “While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible. It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks.”
The school went on to say that parents were notified immediately and told that their kids were okay. However, that did not seem to sit well with some of the parents. Zanders said, “I’m not sure if they are short-staffed or whatever, it shouldn’t have happened,” Yahoo! News reported.
Meanwhile, other parents are pointing fingers at the child’s own parents. Alexis Smith said, “If your child knows what it is, nothing wrong with it. But they should know not to touch it. That it’s not for kids,” per Yahoo! News.
You can also read: Drone First Responders: Revolutionizing Policing in Santa Monica and Beyond
While the other students claim to not know it was liquor, it looks like the child who brought it in might have. Smith said, “I had a small conversation with my daughter — nothing big — and she told me the girl knew it was liquor,” Yahoo! News reported.