Connect with us

News

National Park Service asks visitors to not lick toads to get high

toads

Some people will do anything to get high. They might even lick potentially toxic toads. It’s gotten so bad that the National Park Service had to put out a PSA begging visitors to refrain from this dangerous behavior. 

Frogs have a gland-secreted substance, 5_Me-O-DMT, that produces psychedelic effects. But that same substance can also be toxic, which is the case if you lick the Sonoran Desert toad, a.k.a. the Colorado River Toad. 

“These toads have prominent parotid glands that secrete a potent toxin. It can make you sick if you handle the frog or get the poison in your mouth,” the PSA advised. 

“As we say with most things you come across in a national park, whether it be a banana slug, unfamiliar mushroom, or a large toad with glowing eyes in the dead of night, please refrain from licking,” the warning went on to say. 0

Poison control also warns that 5-MEO-DMT is an illegal DEA schedule I drug and is extremely dangerous. 

“Licking or swallowing can lead to numbness of the mouth and throat as well as severe and life-threatening effects on the heart as a result of the digoxin-like compounds and catecholamines described above,” the agency warns. 

“These effects include irregular rhythm of the heart, heart block, reduced blood pressure, and cardiac arrest.”

Despite warnings, many celebrities make toad venom their drug of choice. It is a favorite of boxer Mike Tyson. It has also been spoofed on Family Guy. 

Glamorous influencer Victoria Barbara claims she was enlightened after her toad venom trip. She now hypes Bufo therapy which involves inhaling toad milk. 

The Colorado River toad can be found in certain areas of New Mexico, Arizona, and California. At 7 inches tall, it is one of the tallest toads in North America. It also makes a call that the NPS has described as a “weak, low-pitched toot, lasting less than a second.”

Continue Reading

Trending